City of Burns TN History
Originally called Mile Post 36, indicating its mileage from Nashville. During the Civil war it was inhabited by Union soldiers and railroad workers.
In 1866 Yankee carpetbaggers began to relocate to the area. John McClelland, the first postwar postmaster, was a federal appointee described as an ambitious politician seeking to share in the spoils of war.? The first post office opened on June 27, 1866.
Soon after the Civil War, the Nashville and Northwestern Railroad took over the rail line from the Federal government and Mile Post 36 was renamed Burns Station in honor of the President of the Nashville and Northwestern Railroad. Over the years the Station part of the village name was dropped, although Burns retained its depot and was a regular stop on the railroad until about 1970. The depot was converted into Burns first Town Hall. The first meeting of the Town Council was held April 6, 1953.
Currently Interstate 840 is intersecting with Interstate 40 in the Burns vicinity and will be the driving force for economic development and residential growth in this section of the county during the 21st century.
Burns has continued to grow and prosper and in the 1980 census the population was 777. The population jumped to 1,386 by the 1990 census and 1,366 by 2000.
Burns City Hall, P.O. Box 36, Burns, TN. 37029, (615) 446-2851